Nordic Ski Capital of Colorado
We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that maintains 50 kilometers of scenic cross-country ski and snowshoe trails around the Town of Crested Butte. We offer rentals, lessons, tours, and gourmet backcountry dining. We provide free trail passes and rentals for all kids ages 16 and under. Our Nordic Center and trailheads are all within walking distance from all of Crested Butte’s restaurants and lodgings.
To provide individuals of all ages and abilities the opportunity to learn, enjoy and improve in the sports of cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
What We Do
Crested Butte Nordic pursues its mission in many ways:
- The development and maintenance of winter nordic trails and facilities
- Junior Nordic Team and youth programs
- Masters and seniors programs for adults
- Providing ski and snowshoe rentals
- Instruction, clinics and backcountry guiding services
- A wide variety of nordic and backcountry races
- Fine dining at our backcountry yurt
In order to achieve our mission, Crested Butte Nordic must work in close partnership with the U.S. Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management, the Crested Butte Land Trust, the Towns of Crested Butte and Mount Crested Butte, over forty private landowners, local businesses and many other public and private agencies and non-profit organizations. We value these partnerships.
The Board of Directors had a strategic planning session in May 2019, where we updated the goals set by the board in 2018 and adopted a new facilities plan. We now have five “strategic pillars” that support our mission. The first four were set in 2018, and the last one was added this year.
- Strategic Growth: in programs, events, trails, and membership. CB Nordic has experienced 14% average annual growth over the last 10 years, and 6% average growth over the last 5 years. We will plan for continued growth, resulting in an annual budget of $1.5 million in the next 5-10 years.
- Outstanding Customer Experience: in programs, events, and trails. What sets us apart as the Nordic Capital of Colorado is the way people feel people during their time here. We strive to make every experience of our Center, our trails, our programs,and our events welcoming and memorable.
- Sustainability: Fiscal, Organizational, and Environmental. Through organizational efficiencies and conscious decision-making, we strive to reduce our energy and material consumption, and to maximize our human resources.
- Constructive Collaborations and Communications. Through coordinated marketing, communications, and public relations plans, our members and the community will understand the positive economic and social impact CB Nordic has on the Gunnison Valley. We will work collaboratively with other organizations to achieve much more than would be possible through operating alone.
- Facilities for our Future: We will design and construct facilities that support our growth and mission while upholding the other pillars.
We envision Crested Butte as one of the premier destination Nordic resorts in the Country; a place where skiers visit because of our exceptional natural beauty, ski in/ski out National Historic Town, expansive trail system, and comprehensive program and event offerings.
We envision a Junior Nordic program that is one of the best in the nation. The emphasis will always be on having fun and developing a passion for Nordic skiing. Our program will give our youth the skills and training to compete on a National level.
We envision Crested Butte Nordic as a vital part of our community’s winter economy as well as a model for human-powered winter recreation.
Support Crested Butte Nordic
Your donation helps maintain trails, fund community programs, and provide after-school children’s programs.